Friday, January 30, 2009

And so it begins....

So where was I? Oh, yeah. 235. Yuck. When I saw that number, I was in shock. I remember when I was younger, and I got up to 160 at around the time I had surgery on my foot, and I felt like a house. So, how did I let myself go to 235??? I guess how I got there isn't as important as the rest of the story. The story of my fighting my way back...

It took me a lot of time to let go of the guilt. I still don't think I have let go of all of it. I still get really paranoid after working out and go to check my phone. I worry about my kids needing me, or my husband, and million other things. Sometimes I take my phone with me. Sometimes I don't. Ya, I have paranoia issues. But, considering the past, I think I am allowed a little.

When my size 18's quit fitting and I was just wearing sweats all the time, I knew I had to do something. A few small changes made a big difference. I have tried many different things over the last 3 years, MANY, MANY things, and I will share the good, bad and the ugly with you. We'll talk about what works, what doesn't and everything in between. What works for me, might not work for you, and vice versa. But, maybe something I say will spark something in you. I hope you find the same spark that I have right now. Let's take this walk together and see what we find.

Let's start with my Weight Watchers review. I did weight watchers BEFORE I hit 235, before my mom died, and before I really got serious. It was on the way UP to 235 that I tried it. Maybe back in 2003 or so?

I have NOTHING but positive things to say about Weight Watchers. Now, I didn't go to the meetings. I was too scared and ashamed to actually go to Weight Watchers meetings, so I can only comment on the online version of Weight Watchers. It was a wonderful tool for me. When I first started, I had no idea about portion sizes or what I needed to eat, or how much or how often. WW was a great tool for learning about portion sizes without needing to know specifics about calories, proteins, carbs and fats.

They make it very easy for beginners. They have a nifty online tool that helps you journal your food. This is the key aspect of the program. To be able to lose weight, you have to be aware of how much you are eating. I have found over and over, in talking to countless people, that once they start journaling, they are absolutely flabbergasted when they realize how much food they are eating.

I know that sounds crazy, but ask anyone who's been down this road. The first step in losing weight and starting the healthy journey is to be aware of what you are doing wrong. WW really helps with that.

They have lots of online support forums to help you learn the system. It's a neat site. The cost got to me, as well as boredom eventually. I am like a 3 year old that needs to be constantly amused. I swear, I am such a pain. I got sick of journaling. I got sick of counting points. I slipped into my old habits. I probably lost 10-20 pounds on WW.

It wasn't the magic key for me, and I quit and gained the weight back. Like I said, it just wasn't for me. I know many people who love the program and have good success with it. I'd love to hear from you if it worked or not.

In my next blog we'll talk about Atkins.... ah, delicious meat! LOL.

Love, laughter and light,

Mrs. ChildFun

No comments:

Post a Comment